I decided I want to make the seemingly impossible, possible. So one of the things I’m going to do is try every cookie recipe out of the Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedic Cookbook. For me, this is a tall order. I’ve only done 5 recipes and I took a little break because I’ve actually done two cookies recipes and I kind of got discouraged but that is for another blog post.
In the “Drop Cookie” section alone, there are 36 cookie recipes. I just counted and there are 155 cookie recipes total but that’s not counting variations. Five down – 150 to go, well I guess 149 to go. Woohoo!
Okay, this recipe says “Banana Nut Cookie.” I used coconut flakes so I changed the name (coconuts are nuts to me!). The bananas made the cookie dough quite thick so these cookies had a “sconeish” texture. I liked this cookie, and my husband loved these. He ate all of the cookies in two sittings.
Yield – about 36 cookies
Total Time – about an hour
1) 2 1/4 cup flour
2) 2 teaspoons baking powder
3) 1/2 teaspoon salt
4) 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
5) 1/3 cup butter
6) 1 cup sugar
7) 2 eggs, beaten
8) 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
9) 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract (or lemon flavoring, found in the same aisle)
10) 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 regular sized bananas)
11) 2/3 cup coconut flakes (can substitute 1/2 cup chopped nuts (book ingredient))
Preparation and Baking
1) Turn the oven to 350 degrees.
2) Soften/melt the butter and add the sugar.
3) Take a small bowl and beat the eggs first, then add to the butter/sugar mix.
4) Add the vanilla extract, mix well.
5) Add the lemon extract (or lemon flavoring), mix well.
6) Add the banana alternating with the dry ingredients so this is how I did it
a) Add the salt, mix well.
b) Add some of the mashed bananas, mix well.
c) Add the baking powder, mix well.
d) Add some of the mashed bananas, mix well.
e) Add the baking soda, mix well.
f) Add the rest of the mashed bananas, mix well.
g) Add the flour, mix well.
7) Add the coconut flakes.
8) Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
9) Take two spoons and add about a teaspoon of batter to the baking sheet to make the drop cookie.
10) Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
Enjoy! Love, Ana