Out of all the desserts in the entire world, ice cream is my favorite. When Tom bought me a Cuisinart ICE-30BC Ice Cream Maker for my birthday, I was ecstatic! I just hoped I could make good ice cream.
Well, I’m sold. Tom and I both agree, homemade ice cream is the best! It just comes out a little soft when it first comes out of the machine.
Prepping the Ice Cream Maker
The first thing I had to do was freeze the bowl. The instructions said it takes 6 to 22 hours to freeze, depending on the freezer. And to prevent freezer burn, I found a plastic zippered bag to cover it. So bummer, I couldn’t make ice cream right away just out of the box! (Sigh.)
I first tried to make chocolate ice cream from the Cuisinart booklet that came with the machine. It’s rich and good but not quite right. When it’s perfect, I’ll post it.
But of course I ate it anyways!
Then I tried the Simple Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from the Cuisinart recipe booklet. With a few tweaks it was perfect! So here it is.
Prep Time: 22 hours (to allow the bowl to freeze)
Total Time: 23 hours
1) 1 1/2 cups whole organic milk
2) 1 1/4 cups organic granulated cane sugar
3) 3 cups heavy cream
4) 1 1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
1) In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk and sugar – whisk or use a hand blender to combine thoroughly until the sugar fully dissolves (1 -2 minutes).
2) Add the heavy cream and vanilla extract and blend thoroughly.
3) Pour the mixture into the bowl; turn it on and let churn for 20-25 minutes.
4) The mixture will be soft now (except maybe the stuff the on the very bottom) so unless you want a vanilla shake, put the vanilla ice cream in a freezer safe container and let it freeze for a few hours or overnight.