Many of us have great food memories from our childhood. My husband loved his mother’s meatloaf. Unfortunately, she passed away before I could learn her recipe but for meatloaf I think it’s all about the quality of the ingredients. The first time I made this, I used the best ingredients I could afford and my husband loved it, despite not having his mom’s recipe. I hope you do too.
I adapted this recipe from The Joy of Cooking.
Special Equipment – loaf pan
1) 2 pounds ground beef
2) 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions
3) 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
4) 2/3 cup catsup
5) 3 eggs lightly beaten
6) 1 teaspoon salt
7) 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preparation and Cooking
1) Turn the oven to 350 degrees
2) Grease a loaf pan. I use cooking spray but you could use soft butter to coat the pan as well.
3) Add the ground beef to a large bowl.
4) Beat the eggs in a separate bowl.
4) Then add all the other ingredients to the large bowl.
5) Take off any jewelry (e.g. wedding ring), wash your hands thoroughly and mix everything by hand. I guess you could use a spoon but I don’t know if you will mix it well enough. I have to warn you too, the ground beef will be cold so be prepared. If it gets too cold, I suggest you pause for a minute to let your hands warm up or you could get as much of the mix off your hands and run your hands under warm water for a minute if it gets too bad.
6) When you feel everything is thoroughly mixed, pack the mixture into the greased loaf pan.
7) Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes.
And now one of my concept photos!