Since a lot of French cooking has to do with sauces, I thought I better start Chapter 2 Sauces, from Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I prefer a sweeter vinaigrette than Sauce Vinaigrette which Julia says is “heresy.” So I guess I’m not very French as far as salad dressing goes. I’ve paired this tangy dressing with my simple, metabolism boosting salad.
I call my salad “metabolism boosting” because it contains cayenne pepper and chia seeds, both metabolism boosting components. I think I’m starting to show some similar characteristics as my mom, who used to put red pepper on everything, even her oatmeal. Well, I’m taking the food photography cliche of using red in salad and using cayenne pepper instead of tomatoes!
I’m still on the fence about chia seeds. I notice that many fall down to the bottom of my bowl or container. Then many fall between my teeth when I brush them. I just don’t know if I’m actually ingesting very many of them at all. I put it in this salad recipe though because I guess it really doesn’t hurt.
For the Sauce Vinaigrette
1) 1/2 – 2 tablespoons good wine vinegar or a mixture of vinegar and lemon juice – I used organic red wine vinegar.
2) 1/8 teaspoon of salt – This means a big pinch to me.
3) 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard (optional) – I put this in my dressing because I had some.
4) 6 tablespoon of salad oil or olive oil
5) big pinch of pepper
6) 1-2 tablespoons of minced green herbs such as parsley, chives, tarragon, basil; or a pinch of dried herbs (I added a pinch of dried herbs.)
You can use a bowl and stir everything or use a jar and shake it up. I used a mason jar to shake it and it made the recipe more fun for me.
1) Add all the ingredients in a jar or bowl.
2) Stir them all together if you’re using a bowl. Or screw a lid on tightly to the jar and shake vigorously.
For the Salad
1) A couple of big handfuls of pre-washed salad, like 50/50
2) a handful of blueberries
3) 1 teaspoon chia seeds
4) a couple of pinches of cayenne pepper
5) a couple of pinches of shredded cheese (your choice of type)
Pour the Sauce Vinaigrette on the salad.