Two people have told me now that losing weight has only 10% to do with exercise and 90% to do with diet. So I came up with this idea. Let’s call it the Opposite Effect. The Opposite Effect goes something like this – for whatever eating habits I had that made me gain weight, I must do exactly the opposite of those eating habits. I ate a lot of ice cream, salty stuff, and other junk foods so now I have to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. In that vein, here is my vegetable fried rice recipe!
As I said last week, I first tried making vegetable fried rice using these ingredients.
But that wasn’t enough so here are the ingredients:
2 cups of rice
1/2 white onion
2 celery stalks
2 large carrots
1/2 cup white wine (optional)
1 red bell pepper
5 brown, crimini mushrooms
3/4 cup frozen corn
3 cloves grated garlic
1 bunch green onions
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon milk
Total Time: about 45 minutes (includes rice cooking time)
Servings – 8 (this is a great potluck size)
Preparation and Cooking
1) Cook the rice.
2) Coat the bottom of a wok with olive oil.
3) Dice the white onion, celery stalk and carrots. Place the vegetables in the wok.
4) Dice the red bell pepper and mushrooms.
This fried rice needs some color!
5) Turn the burner on medium high. Saute the onions, celery and carrots for about 5 minutes
6) Add white wine, let the wine evaporate.
This makes the onions, carrots and celery taste smoother.
7) Add the diced red bell peppers and mushrooms
8) Grate the garlic over all of the vegetables. Mix thoroughly
9) Turn the burner back to medium and let the vegetables cook for another five minutes or so.
10) In the meantime, crack the eggs in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the milk.
11) Whisk the eggs.
12) When the vegetables are cooked, add the rice. Carefully mix the rice and vegetables together so that none spill out of the wok.
13) Pour the eggs on top of the entire mixture. Mix thoroughly. The eggs will cook as you mix.
14) Add the green onions. Continue to mix everything thoroughly.
15) Serve in bowls, add soy sauce to taste.